To celebrate the 140th anniversary of the birth of Czech architect Pavel Janák and the 132nd anniversary of the birth of Czech composer Bohuslav Martinů, we are holding a concert of music composed by some of Janák’s contemporaries – Bohuslav Martinů, Vítězslav Novák and Josef Suk. The concert is held in collaboration with Euro Art Praha. The compositions will be performed by the Stamic Quartet, one of the best chamber music ensembles in the Czech Republic. The concert will take place at the Clubhouse of the Autoclub of the Czech Republic, designed in the style of purism by Pavel Janák in the 1920s. The performance will be preceded by an introduction about the architecture of the house and Janák’s work given by Richard Gironi, executive director of the club. Use this unique opportunity and come listen to compositions by eminent Czech composers in the glamorous representative space of a cultural monument!
Compositions in the Program:
• Josef Suk: Barcarolle and Ballad in D Minor
• Bohuslav Martinů: String Quartet No. 7, “Concerto da Camera”
• Vítězslav Novák: String Quartet in D Major, Op. 35, No. 2
Pavel Janák is one of the most significant and most active Czech architects of the 1st half of the 20th century. One of his first big commissions was Hlávka Bridge in Prague. Before World War I, Janák started working with Czech architect Josef Gočár, and together they searched for the so-called national style. Probably the most famous result of this tendency in Janák’s work is the crematorium in Pardubice and the Adria Palace in Prague. In the 2nd half of the 20th century, his designs shifted towards functionalism, which resulted e.g. in Hotel Juliš on Wenceslas Square or the Baba Colony. In the late 1930s, he was named the architect of Prague Castle and started focusing on reconstructions.
- The venue is located at Opletalova 1337/29, Praha 1-Nové Město.
- In case of emergency, you can contact a volunteer whose number is shown on the ticket.
- Limited number of tickets, purchase possible only in advance.
- We take photographs and/or video footage at selected events for purposes of documentation and promotion. More details can be found here.