Impressive marble stairways, precious ceiling paintings and many other rare art and craft elements are hidden behind the modest facade of the corner building next to Masaryk Railway Station. This house of ghosts – abandoned for years – was built between 1845–1847 as the new town seat of count Franz Desfours-Walderode, designed by Josef Kranner in the late Classicist style. One of the last aristocratic palaces erected in Prague, it was then owned for almost six decades by the Krasnopolski family, the last members of which were assassinated by the Nazis. In the 2nd half of the 20th century the palace was used by Rudé právo, the official newspaper of the Communist party, which caused the building many scars. The house – protected as a national monument – has recently been acquired by the Prague City Museum which is planning a complete reconstruction of the palace. Thanks to our special walk through the palace interior you will have a unique opportunity to feel the magic of the late centuries and listen to the story of the masters of this monument.
- The meeting place is at the main entrance to the Desfours Palace opposite to the Manifesto Market (the open-air food court). The address is Na Florenci 1023/21.
- The telephone contact for the guide will be indicated on the ticket in case of emergency.
- The tour guide will be Michal Šedivý.
- The expected duration of the event is approx. 50 minutes.
- The capacity of the group is limited, tickets can only be purchased in advance.
- The guide will not wear a protective face mask/respirator during the commented tour (as government regulations allow).
- The organizer kindly asks all participants of this event to be attentive to other visitors and to follow current valid government regulations against the spread of Covid-19 during the tour.
- In case of low interest, the organizer reserves the right to cancel the tour no later than 48 hours before the event. Buyers will be contacted and information will be published on the organizer’s website.